Ask Dr. Lancer: How Do I Reverse Décolletage Damage?
It’s very common for people to be diligent with sunscreen use on their face, while forgetting their chest area, resulting in skin that gives away their true age – or even makes them look older than they are. Here are six steps you can take to fix sagginess, dehydration or pigmentation of the décolleté area:
1. Don’t Neglect Your Décolletage. Sunspots and other forms of pigmentation can cause your décolletage to appear ancient, so start by bringing your facial skincare regimen down to your neck and décolleté. The skin in these areas and will respond to our three-step Polish-Cleanse-Nourish Method and other advanced treatments, such as our Retexturizing Treatment Cream, which features glycolic acid to help speed up cell turnover and reduce pigmentation.
2. Stay Hydrated. Dehydration is one of the main causes of crepey looking skin in the chest area. Nourish the skin you want to improve with hydrating ingredients such as stem cells and Vitamin C. Our Intensive Night Treatment is especially good for repairing damaged skin while you sleep.
3. Sleep on Your Back. Invest in a super soft pillow that forms to your head and learn to sleep on your back. This prevents creases from forming on your chest (and face) while you sleep. Waking up with an occasional crease from sleeping on your stomach or side may not seem like a big deal, but over time, these creases can become permanent fixtures on your skin.
4. Power Exfoliate. If all else fails, an in-office treatment can really turn back the clock and tighten up any sagginess. Start by booking a Power Peel to exfoliate and get blood circulating in the area, which will help to make the skin appear smoother, more evenly toned and instantly brighten it. Follow a Power Peel with a Dermatude session. An innovation in anti-aging treatments, Dermatude is a painlesss procedure that makes microperforations in the skin to allow certain serums (we use a stem cell serum) to be inserted into the deeper layers of the skin encouraging the skin’s natural collagen and elastin production, revitalizing the cells, and providing intense hydration.
5. Practice Safe Skin. Stay out of the sun whenever possible and always be sure to slather your décolleté with a high-grade physical and chemical sunscreen when wearing a skin-baring neckline. Our Sheer Fluid Sun Shield was formulated so that it won’t leave a mark on your clothes, so it’s safe to apply liberally just before slipping into your ensemble.
6. Keep the Faith. I am working on a top secret formula specifically for the neck and décolleté that will be groundbreaking when it is finally released next spring! Sign up for our mailing list to be the first to know about it.
Have a question for me? Post it on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #AskDrLancer, and it could be featured in a future blog post.