Sam Smith may have swept the Grammy Awards last night, but barely-there makeup and glowing skin swept the red carpet. Beyonce, Chrissy Teigen, Ciara, Rihanna, Gwen Stefani and Charlie XCX all rocked natural looks featuring nude lips, subtly rosy cheeks and simple eye makeup framed by bold brows.
The key to making this look work is, of course, flawless skin. In a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, beauty insiders discussed this movement toward the I-woke-up-like-this look. “A lot of women now are taking care of their skin so they don’t have to rely on makeup,” Daniel Martin, a celebrity makeup artist for Dior, told the Wall Street Journal. “For them, it’s a reallocation of time and money. They are spending more on an evening skin-care regimen and facials, and less on a morning makeup routine.
Emily Weiss, of the popular beauty blog Into the Gloss, agrees: “Having great skin allows you to ‘just wake up like this’. The better your skin, the less makeup you have to wear.”
So where do you begin to get red carpet-worthy glowing skin? Start from the inside out with a regimen of morning green juices and diet of lean protein and veggies (skip the carbs, sugar and salt). Add in light, daily exercise to get your blood circulating. Combine with daily use of The Method plus nightly use of our Lift Serum Intense and Intensive Night Treatment to amp up moisture for a fresh, dewy look.
Pilates is not only a great way to tone the body, but also helps to reduce stress, combat fatigue and improve mental focus and circulation. Doing just a few Pilates mat exercises a day will rejuvenate you both physically and mentally – helping you to look and feel younger. These 5 Pilates moves from leading Pilates trainer Debi Monahan can be done anywhere – at home, at the office, even while you travel.
1. The Roll-Up
Stregthen your spine and abs with this posture-improving move. Start by lying on your back and extend your body into a full stretch with your arms extended over your head and your legs straight and squeezed together. Inhale, drawing in your abs, and lift your arms toward the ceiling. Continue the movement forward, and as your arms pass over your chest, begin to roll up vertebra by vertabra, using your core muscles. Try to lift up our of your hips and over your thights as you pass through a sitting position. Exhale as you stretch forward, keeping your navel pulled back toward your spine and your fingers reaching toward your toes. Then reverse out of the posture by inhaling and rolling back down as slowly as you came up, keeping your abs engaged and your tailbone curled under. Repeat 3 to 5 times.
2. The Hundred
This ab and breathing exercise helps to increase circulation and warm up the body. Start by lying on your back with your knees and hips bent at a 90-degree angle and your arms resting on the mat beside you. Exhale, draw in your abs, and lift your upper spine slightly off the mat while reaching your arms forward. Straighten and extend your legs to a 45 to 60-degree angle. Begin pumping your arms straight down and then up on each count for a total of 5 counts, inhaling for the duration of 5 and exhaling for 5, reaching forward as you breathe. Maintain this position, pumping your arms and breathing for 100 counts (or as long as good form can be maintained).
3. Single Leg Stretch
Lie on your back with your head and shoulders off the mat, chin toward your chest with your inside hand on your knee and your outside hand on your ankle, elbows extended. The straight leg should be extended in front of you at a height that allows your back to remain flat on the mat. Inhale as you being to bend your straight leg and straighten your bent leg. Exhale as you complete the switch. Your hands switch to the opposite knee and ankle. Maintain core stability while executing, with your abs drawn in and your spine pressed into the mat. Repeat the sequence 5 times on each leg for a total of 10 times.
4. Criss Cross
This sit-up exercise will work your obliques, waistline and core. Start by lying on your back with your head and shoulders lifted off the mat, knees bent into your chest and hands behind your head, elbows wide. Exhale. Straighten one leg while simultaneously rotating your upper body toward the opposite bent knee. Inhale as you being to switch legs while your upper torso rotates back to center. While switching legs, rotate your trunk toward the opposite side and exhale as you fully straighten one leg and bend the other. Complete 5 to 10 sets.
5. Leg Pull
Start this ab, arm, legs and buttocks-strenghtening exercise in a push-up position. Squeeze your buttocks and concentrate on using your abs to stabilize your lower body. (Your body should be in one straight line from the top of the head to your heels.) Inhaling, raise one leg toward the ceiling, squeezing the buttocks. Do not lift your hip when lifting your leg. Exhaling, lower your leg back to the mat. Inhaling, raise the opposite leg. Exhaling, lower that leg back down, always keeping your abs engaged and pelvis lifted to prevent your lower back from arching.
For more detailed step-by-step instructions and modifications to these Pilates exercises, pick up a copy of YOUNGER: The Breakthrough Anti-Aging Method for Radiant Skin.
Lebanese singer and model Haifa Wehbe is one of the biggest stars of the Arab World. One look at her Instagram account, and you’ll notice her legions of adoring fans. The former Miss Lebanon has released four studio albums and been named one of People Magazine‘s 50 most beautiful. To keep her skin in pop star shape, Haifa depends on our 3-step Method and visits to our Beverly Hills headquarters when she’s in Los Angeles. And when she’s off circling the globe? We’ve got the perfect solution for that too.
Frankie Grande is militant about his skincare! The YouTube phenom (and Ariana’s big brother) has been a devotee of The Lancer Method as well as our Sheer Fluid Sun Shield and Eye Contour Lifting Cream since the brand relaunched. He recently Instagrammed a command to his legions of followers, “Defend your skin with @drlancerrx” – and with good reason: from Big Brother 16 to his role in the Broadway production of Mamma Mia!, The Method has served him well. We’ve rarely seen a more flawless complexion – or had more fun than when he stops by to visit.
They call him the hardest working man in Hollywood, so it only stands to reason that he’d need a skincare regimen that works overtime too. With a packed schedule that spans from early a.m. call times for On Air with Ryan Seacrest to evenings hosting American Idol and production work sandwiched in between, you’d think the toll of his demanding schedule might show up on his face. But Ryan Seacrest doesn’t look a day over 29. (He’s actually 39.) Of course, with so little time to spare, Ryan requires a pared down skincare system, which is why he’s a fan of our simple, at-home, 3-step Method. He has also spilled Dr. L’s skincare secrets on air (listen here). And when he is able to squeeze in a visit to our dermatology offices, he can’t resist a facial with our resident aesthetician Louise Deschamps for the ultimate Lancer glow.
It’s very common for people to be diligent with sunscreen use on their face, while forgetting their chest area, resulting in skin that gives away their true age – or even makes them look older than they are. Here are six steps you can take to fix sagginess, dehydration or pigmentation of the décolleté area:
1. Don’t Neglect Your Décolletage. Sunspots and other forms of pigmentation can cause your décolletage to appear ancient, so start by bringing your facial skincare regimen down to your neck and décolleté. The skin in these areas and will respond to our three-step Polish-Cleanse-Nourish Method and other advanced treatments, such as our Retexturizing Treatment Cream, which features glycolic acid to help speed up cell turnover and reduce pigmentation.
2. Stay Hydrated. Dehydration is one of the main causes of crepey looking skin in the chest area. Nourish the skin you want to improve with hydrating ingredients such as stem cells and Vitamin C. Our Intensive Night Treatment is especially good for repairing damaged skin while you sleep.
3. Sleep on Your Back. Invest in a super soft pillow that forms to your head and learn to sleep on your back. This prevents creases from forming on your chest (and face) while you sleep. Waking up with an occasional crease from sleeping on your stomach or side may not seem like a big deal, but over time, these creases can become permanent fixtures on your skin.
4. Power Exfoliate. If all else fails, an in-office treatment can really turn back the clock and tighten up any sagginess. Start by booking a Power Peel to exfoliate and get blood circulating in the area, which will help to make the skin appear smoother, more evenly toned and instantly brighten it. Follow a Power Peel with a Dermatude session. An innovation in anti-aging treatments, Dermatude is a painlesss procedure that makes microperforations in the skin to allow certain serums (we use a stem cell serum) to be inserted into the deeper layers of the skin encouraging the skin’s natural collagen and elastin production, revitalizing the cells, and providing intense hydration.
5. Practice Safe Skin. Stay out of the sun whenever possible and always be sure to slather your décolleté with a high-grade physical and chemical sunscreen when wearing a skin-baring neckline. Our Sheer Fluid Sun Shield was formulated so that it won’t leave a mark on your clothes, so it’s safe to apply liberally just before slipping into your ensemble.
6. Keep the Faith. I am working on a top secret formula specifically for the neck and décolleté that will be groundbreaking when it is finally released next spring! Sign up for our mailing list to be the first to know about it.
Have a question for me? Post it on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #AskDrLancer, and it could be featured in a future blog post.