The Real Scoop on Frown Line Fixes
That moment when you notice a new expression line forming on your face is one of the most frustrating things about getting older. You may still feel (and act!) like an energetic 20 year-old, but your face is letting you down, giving away your actual age with every passing hour. What’s more, there are so many products and treatments out there that promise a quick fix, it’s hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. So we took the guesswork out of frown line fixes. Here’s the real scoop on what works, what doesn’t, and what you don’t want to overdo.
1. Patches such as Frownies or Furless. Although these ‘miracle patches’ may be tempting, there is absolutely no evidence they make a difference over time. You are much better off investing in high quality pillowcases and learning to sleep on your back to keep your face from getting creased at night. (Over time, those creases can become frown lines.)
2. Botox and Dysport. A popular option for freezing up the facial muscles to stop the formation of expression lines, neurotoxins are highly effective for preventing deep lines and wrinkles, but need to be administered every few months to keep results looking fresh. There is also a risk of “loss of expression” if the doctor administering the injectable is too heavy handed. If you decide to explore neurotoxins further, make sure you trust your doctor and take a light approach.
3. Juvederm and Restylane. Another popular option for deep expression lines, fillers do just what the name implies – fill in deep lines, wrinkles and facial folds. Fillers like Juvaderm are great for deep lines that are already prevalent, but won’t prevent further development of wrinkles. Again, these should be administered by a light-handed professional.
4. Dermatude. One of the newest and most innovative machines in our office, Dermatude is quickly becoming a favorite option for patients looking to reverse expression lines without the follow up appointments or risk of expression loss. The machine pairs micro rolling with radio frequency, triggering the body’s own healing action in the deep layers of the skin, boosting collagen and elastin production and nearly erasing expression lines. This treatment is especially popular with men.
5. Youth Serum. The newest addition to the Lancer Skincare collection, our Younger: Pure Youth Serum is an amazing blend of vitamin A esters and biomimetic retinol compounds that actually speed up the skin’s cellular cycle without the irritation that accompanies the use of traditional retinol. Youth Serum is a smart addition to your regimen if you’re looking to prevent expression lines or correct existing ones.